A (usually) weekly round-up of interesting links I’ve tweeted. Sponsored by Smashing Magazine who slip banknotes into my bellydancing costume so I can spend time reading stuff.
- humaaans – “Mix-&-match illustrations of people with a design library” by @pablostanley. CC-BY, includes people of colour, hijabis, wheelchair users, pregnant women. Very cool.
- Brainstorming a <template> parts proposal, allowing the creation of templates with specific “parts” that can be filled in later. by @domenic et al
- Don’t Pay To Speak At Commercial Events by Vitaly Friedman. (I was one of the reviewers.)
- remove.bg – “Remove Image Background FREE 100% automatically – in 5 seconds – without a single click”. Amazingly useful tool using AI to clip people out of backgrounds. Startlingly clever.
- Improving Mobile Broadband Quality of Service in Low- and Middle-Income Countries – “the median download speed for a user in Africa is less than a seventh of that for a user in Western Europe.”
- Smarter Voice Assistants Recognize Your Favorite Brands—and Health – Hurray for ‘brand sonification”: smart speakers hear you using brand X and offer you ads based on it. Or hear you coughing a lot and tell your health insurers? Coming in 2019.
- The community network manual : how to build the Internet yourself – “improve connectivity while empowering Internet users, triggering creation of new content, applications, services & organisations, developed by the local community for the local community”