Reading List 267
- New E-Commerce Checkout Research – Why 68% of Users Abandon Their Cart – 28% abandon because site forces them create an account, 21% because checkout process is too long/ complex
- Native Image Lazy-Loading in WordPress Core – wave goodbye to hacky JS bloat, say hello to
- Not so short note on aria-label usage by Steve Faulkner
- Atkinson Hyperlegible Font A new typeface – greater legibility and readability for low vision readers, free from the Braille Institute
- How To Add Closed Captioning To A Video – And What I Learned – lots of stuff I didn’t know about making good captions
- Accessibility and video on-demand streaming services, rating them by Website Accessibility, Audio Description & Closed Captions. Disney+ and iPlayer are the best, Sky Store & Google Play are worst
- A Complete Guide to Dark Mode on the Web
- Focus management and inert – “Personally, I am disappointed by Apple’s lack of support for inert”
- Meet Face ID and Touch ID for the Web – WebKit adds Apple’s Face ID andTouch ID to the Web Authentication API standard. Good stuff.
- Emoji Accessibility for Visually Impaired People” (14pp PDF)
- The most useful accessibility testing tools and techniques – “Here is a list of tools I regularly use to make sure everything I do is accessible for folks with different abilities, whether they are blind or holding a sandwich in their hand.”
- Simulating color vision deficiencies in the Blink Renderer – 86% of web pages have bad text contrast; it’s the most common accessibility error. How can chrome devtools help you deal with that? @mathias (NOT a nerd) tells all
- Override webpage resources with local copies using Microsoft Edge DevTools
- Web-based SVG path editor
- When you tell Chrome to wipe private data about you, it spares two websites from the purge: Google.com, YouTube – Anti-trust case? What anti-trust case?
- Google Launches App That Lets Banks Remotely Lock Your Android Device – “the Device Lock Controller app from Google lets financers of smartphones remotely lock an Android device. users will be able to access very limited functions in their smartphones”
- Malicious apps on iOS and Android clock 2.4 million downloads, $500,000 in revenue – “Researchers were tipped off by a child.”
- New lawsuit: Why do Android phones mysteriously exchange 260MB a month with Google via cellular data when they’re not even in use? “Ad giant sued after mobile allowances eaten by hidden transfers”
- Google AI Tech Will Be Used for Virtual Border Wall, CBP Contract Shows “Customs and Border Protection accepted a proposal to use Google Cloud technology”. How’s “Don’t be evil” going?
- The Mobile Economy: Sub-Saharan Africa – “The mobile phone industry accounted for 9% of sub-Saharan Africa’s collective GDP in 2019 or $155 billion in absolute terms.”
- W3C Launches Initiative to Improve the Web for Merchants
Leave a Reply