Well, spank me with a pilchard, dress me up as an otter and call me “Madam Sugartits” – here’s this week’s reading list!
- Appear.in workshop and extensions – my fave is “handoff” that lets you transfer a video call from desktop to Android, because I like the idea that my devices are interconnected.
- WAI-ARIA – An introduction to Accessible Rich Internet Applications by Patrick H Lauke, so guaranteed quality.
- Best Practice for Creating Custom Elements by Peter Gasston, “With a very important note about the future of the method”.
- Minimum viable custom elements – Mozilla proposes to remove the is/ extends method of making custom elements that degrade gracefully and which inherit accessibility features built in to the browser. Steve Faulkner kicked off about it, and so did I.
- Compositing And Blending In CSS by Sara Soueidan
- All of This Has Happened Before and Will Happen Again – a rant about WebKit by gorgeous, pouting Adrian Roselli, 23, of Algonquin, New York.
- NLHTML5 Presentation: “Bruce’s tour of the sausage factory” – my presentation on how standards get made. Also Robin Berjon’s accompanying talk Make Forks Not War on how next generation of web standards will/ should be made.
- Are Mobile Websites Truly Less Usable Than Desktop Websites? – “users are able to find items easier using just the navigation structure compared to the full website with in-page navigation and search. This suggests that the unconstrained design makes it harder—not easier—to find items.”
- Why the Internet’s Next Billion Users Will Be Mobile-Only – Time magazine. “We should consider the role played by so-called “light apps,” apps that are either small downloads or operate entirely on the web”
- Mobile banking will help the poor transform their lives by Bill Gates. (say what you like about Microsoft, I can’t fault the way that Gates is spending his time and his zillions.)
- Please help: Sending Birthday Well-wishes to Molly – Molly Holzschlag is a long-time educator and defender of the web. She needs money for her expensive chemotherapy (USA’s health”care” system etc). If yiu can send a little cash, please do.
I’m off for a holiday in Cambodia (it’s tough, kid, but it’s life) for 2 weeks. I won’t be taking nude photos, don’t worry. See you afterwards. xxx