- Subgrids thinking out loud – “our thoughts about subgrids feature from CSS Grid Layout specification”, by Igalia, who are implementing Grids in Blink
- More Chinese Mobile UI Trends
- Chrome change breaks the visual viewport writes PPK
- Progressive Web Apps – a list compiled by Opera Developer Relations. Your’s isn’t on the list? Add it.
- Font Metrics API – explainer for the (very nascent) Font Metrics API in CSS/ Houdini. anything missing? Raise an issue, do. We need real developer input.
- Why I love working with the web by Remy Sharp. “If you sit back for a moment, and think about just how many lives you can touch simply by publishing something, anything, to the web, it’s utterly mind blowing. That’s why I love working with the web”
- Indian firm launches £5 smartphone, thought to be world’s cheapest
- A Message to Our Customers Apple’s Tim Cook: “[The FBI] have asked us to build a backdoor to the iPhone.” Time magazine has good analysis: This Is the Real Reason Apple Is Fighting the FBI
- GCHQ hacking does not breach human rights, security tribunal rules – “remotely activating microphones and cameras on electronic devices without the owners’ knowledge, is legal”. WTF?
- Snoopers scolded UK parliamentary committee “blasts government surveillance plans” calling them ‘incomprehensible”, too sweeping and needing justifying
- How to prepare and write a tech conference talk – loads of good stuff in this post by Lena Reinhard
Literally trillions* of people asked me “Bruce, how do Smart Alerts in Opera Max work?”. So I blew Opera’s video budget on this 2 min explainer, featuring an eggbox and a Where The Wild Things Are puppet.